Jennifer Bethke is a Lecturer in Art History and Director of the University Art Gallery. She teaches modern European and American art of the 19th, 20th, and 21st centuries, and she is the lead instructor for the Museum and Gallery Methods minor. Her scholarly interests include avant-garde art, art and politics, and philosophies of temporality, with a particular specialty in early-20th century Italy.
In addition to her activities in art history, Dr. Bethke has worked as a curator and in museum education at institutions including the Museum of Sonoma County, Santa Rosa and the Nevada Museum of Art, Reno. As Director of the University Art Gallery at SSU, she oversees five exhibitions annually and the curation and care of the University Art Collection.
PhD, University of California, Berkeley, Art History
MA, New School for Social Research, New York, Liberal Studies
BA, University of California, Santa Cruz, Art History
- Art History 211: Intro to Art History Global Renaissance-Modern
- Art History 454: 19th Century - Art and the Emergence of Modernity
- Art History 464: Avant-Gardes of the Early 20th Century
- Art History 465: Modern Art from 1945 to 1979
- Museum Methods 467: Museum Collections Management
- Museum Methods 468: Curatorial Practice
- Museum Methods 493: Museum and Gallery Management
- Museum Methods 494: Museum History and Theory